These days, there’s no shortage of devices and apps that promise to streamline and enhance the way we perform various tasks. One area where this is particularly true is in health and fitness. After all, what better use for all this technological advancement than to keep you healthy and fit?
There are countless workout apps out there designed for any fitness level. And really, it’s no surprise they’re so popular—they’re a convenient and cost-effective way to keep your workout goals in your pocket without even needing a gym membership.
For women specifically, having an app that understands how your personal workout goals can be influenced by things like hormonal balance, menopause, conditions like polycystic ovary syndrome or endometriosis, among other factors, can provide additional support and personalization that really makes a difference.
If you’re looking for a workout app tailored to you, we’ve put together a list of the best fitness apps for women, all of which are available for both iOS and Android. Read on for our top 9 recommendations!
1) Best Metabolic Health App: Nutrisense
The Nutrisense app offers a full suite of tools to help you better understand your body and tailor your lifestyle to best suit your unique physiology. It all starts with a CGM—which is a small sensor that monitors your body in real-time, analyzing its response to food, sleep, stress, and exercise.
With the Nutrisense app, you can collect and analyze your body’s data in an easy-to-understand format. Members can also get access to a credentialed nutritionist who will work with you to determine exactly how your diet and lifestyle are affecting your body.
- Real-time data from your CGM to help you track, monitor, and understand your glucose levels in real-time before, during, and after a workout.
- 1:1 personalized support from a credentialed nutritionist is available for accountability, guidance, and motivation, and even personalized meal plan recommendations.
- You can access in-app courses to help you learn while you track your workout progress.
- Regular glucose insights, including meal scores, glucose variability, and time-in-range to help you understand how your glucose trends affect your fitness journey.
- A community of health enthusiasts to collaborate and learn with as you track your goals.
- The app integrates with various wearable devices like Apple Health, Garmin, Oura, and more, so you can sync all your workout and health data for a holistic view of your progress.
2) Best Community Fitness App: SWEAT
SWEAT is a personal training app created by Australian fitness influencer Kayla Itsines. It places a strong focus on community, helping users find the motivation they need through engagement with SWEAT’s massive online community of like-minded women.
The app provides access to a comprehensive library of different exercises and workout routines, all with detailed instructions and video demonstrations. Whether you’re in the gym or at home, SWEAT is bound to have something to suit your needs at every stage of your fitness journey.
- Detailed instructions for performing a wide array of different exercises—everything from powerbuilding to HIIT to yoga classes to pilates.
- An easy-to-use planner for plotting out and scheduling your workouts, while keeping track of your progress.
- Access to the Sweat Community, where women from all over help to motivate one another, keeping each other accountable in their shared pursuit of optimal fitness.
- Access to SWEAT’s expansive education section, where tips and information on fitness, weight lifting, nutrition, and general wellness abound.
- Includes daily step and hydration trackers, while also integrating with Apple Health and Apple Watch.
3) Best All-in-One App: StrongHer
StrongHer is a fitness and nutrition tracking app that’s specially tailored to women. It’s aimed at helping users plan and execute different types of workouts optimized for their specific needs.
Women of all different body types will feel right at home with StrongHer, where routines are tailored to each user’s unique body, needs, and goals. This app also includes meal tracking, recipes to follow, and workout tutorials.
- Access a comprehensive library of exercises of all intensity-levels, with detailed instructions and video demonstrations.
- A new full-body workout posted each week, to keep your training regimen fresh and invigorating.
- Made for women of all sizes, body types, and goals.
- Track your calorie-burn and water intake, while also finding delicious recipes that will support and reinforce your goals.
4) Best Yoga App: Alo Moves
Created by the athleisure brand Alo Yoga, the Alo Moves fitness app offers a wide range of yoga classes, including ashtanga, vinyasa, restorative yoga, and more. But it’s not just a yoga app—Alo Moves also offers HIIT workouts, barre classes, and even pilates.
- Classes taught by the world’s top yoga instructors, ranging from five minute to 75 minute long classes.
- Designed for at-home workouts, and offers many different types of yoga classes—from beginner-friendly flows to more advanced sessions.
- Classes list any required material in the video description of each session, allowing you to be prepared before you get started.
- Users are prompted to take a short quiz about their preferred teaching style and skill level, so the app can recommend workouts tailored to your fitness level and interests.
5) Best Science-Backed App: Caliber
Caliber promises science-backed training, along with expert coaching to help you during your workouts. Caliber offers personalized training programs complete with detailed tutorials and goal tracking. Their three month program even assigns you a dedicated coach to help you stay on track and realize your fitness goals.
- A custom workout guide to help you build a plan based on your specific needs and goals.
- A weekly Strength Score where you can track your goals as you progress through your workouts.
- Access to Caliber Lessons, where you can learn the fundamentals of proper exercise and nutrition.
- A nutrition coach to help you along the way, reviewing your progress and helping you adjust your program accordingly.
6) Best Personal Training App: Future
The Future personal training app pairs you with an elite personal coach so you’ll have support and guidance on your journey to better fitness. When you sign up for the personal training service, you’ll complete a detailed survey that will pair you with a coach based on your answers.
After you’re matched with a trainer, you can hop on to a video call and set your fitness goals. Your coach will then check in with you through the app to help you customize your workouts as you progress.
Future’s personal trainers can help you plan your workouts based on your personal goals—whether it’s losing weight, strength training during menopause, or anything else you might wish to achieve.
- Weekly in-app workouts from your personal coach, to be completed on your own schedule.
- Daily check-ins with your coach to track goal progress and fine-tune your fitness plan as you go.
- Guided workout movements to help you build muscle with proper form, with audio and video guides.
- Check-ins from your trainer to make sure you’re on the right track.
- Integration with Apple Watch and HealthKit so you can monitor your heart rate, track your menstrual cycles, and much more.
7) Best Method-Based Training App: Pvolve
Jennifer Aniston’s favorite functional fitness program, Pvolve, has everything from patented equipment and supplements to on-demand fitness classes. The popular Pvolve method combines a variety of workouts, ranging from resistance training to functional fitness and low-impact workouts.
The in-app streaming membership includes a seven day free trial with full access to Pvolve’s unique training method. Their holistic program is especially popular for its focus on women’s health, with curated workouts geared specifically towards women’s physiology.
- Unlimited access to thousands of workouts, on-demand.
- Daily live-streaming classes.
- Classes on women’s health to support cycle-tracking, pelvic floor training during menopause, and much more.
- The ability to choose from a variety of best-in-class instructors, with consultations and curated series targeted to individual goals.
- Accountability features that keep a running tally of completed workouts to help you stay on track.
8) Best Running App: Strava
Strava is a free app for the sports community—designed for cyclists, runners, hikers, walkers, and just about anyone who likes to get up and move! This app connects you with others who enjoy these activities as much as they do. The app focuses on social connections, networking, and community challenges as a way to help you get motivated and track your daily workouts.
- Build a support network of fellow enthusiasts to help you stay motivated and celebrate your goals and achievements.
- Record your activity in the app and get data insights in the Training Log for a better look at your progress.
- Sync with various wearable devices to record your activity’s impact on various health metrics.
- Join monthly challenges, try new workouts, and interact with other members to share your journey and swap notes.
9) Best Strength Training App: Nike Training Club
Nike Training Club is a fitness app that welcomes you into the Nike community. It syncs with Apple health, so you can record key health metrics, like heart rate data, while also keeping track of your workouts.
The app offers trusted trainers, industry experts, at-home workout videos to follow, as well as a convenient platform for you to track your progress as you pursue your fitness goals.
- Workout programs by world-class Nike trainers and wellness experts.
- Wellness tips and classes for every type of exercise, including everything from nutrition to guided meditations.
- In-app workout tools to track reps and monitor progress towards your fitness goals.
- NikeSync helps you adapt your training to your menstrual cycle to get the most out of your workouts.
Engage with Your Blood Glucose Levels with Nutrisense
Your blood sugar levels can significantly impact how your body feels and functions. That’s why stable blood glucose levels can be an important factor in supporting overall wellbeing.
With Nutrisense, you’ll be able to track your blood glucose levels over time using a CGM, so you can make lifestyle choices that support healthy living.
Ready to take the first step? Start with our quiz to see how Nutrisense can support your health.
Find the right Nutrisense programhealth potential.to help you discover and reach your
Jordyn has a bachelor’s degree in biology, a graduate degree in Human Nutrition and completed a dietetic internship at the Memphis VA. She has experience working as a clinical dietitian at a VA medical center specializing in oncology and at the Mayo Clinic, working with a wide range of patients ranging from neonates in the NICU to adult ICU.